Transportation provided. The OM Club organizes several site tours a semester, choosing workplaces that use operations management extensively in their daily work. The general format is a brief site introduction, followed by a guided tour around the facility, and then usually a Q&A. We aim to give students exposure to different potential areas of employment for OM grads, while appreciating what the discipline can do in diverse work environments. This year, we are looking of going to a number of facilities with large, Edmonton-based operations.
Aldon Auto Salvage Site Tour (with Pizza & Beer after)!!
Wednesday, November 7th
Sam and I (Matt) had the amazing opportunity to visit Alden Auto Salvage during the summer of 2012. This is going to be one of the most amazing OM site tours ever! The owner, Terry Carter, had the opportunity to show us around the salvage yard and here is just a few of the incredible things you will get to see:
- The "Lincoln Memorial" – Terry himself hoisted two limousines straight up in the air and plopped them down for an unforgettable entrance into the Aldon Auto yard! The whole "limousine crash is an absolutely amazing sight!
- Take a look at the over 4,000 salvaged cars Aldon holds in its inventory!
- Chances are you will also get to see cars / trucks that are dis-assembly – this is where they take all the most valuable "fast moving" parts out of the salvage vehicle
- View Aldon Auto's amazing historic cars: like a 1969 Camaro and an original Ford Model-T (Aldon Auto boasts its own car museum!)
Date: Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Departure Time: 2:00 pm
Depart From: HUB Mall Turnaround (NORTH), just outside EAST Business Atrium Doors
Return to University: 6:00 pm (approximately)
Terry Carter, Owner of Aldon Auto, In the Media (Canadian Auto Recyclers Magazine)
After 30 years in the automotive industry, Carter is still inspired by the same things. "I feel really good about being in an industry that doesn't sell people what they don't need. We take pride in being environmental stewards," says Carter. "We've always been environmentally conscious even before it became fashionable. Every year we learn a little more about what it means to do a better job of it." source: http://issuu.com/collisionrepair/docs/car_6_1_web_book
Pictures from our visit to Aldon Auto Salvage:
How to Book Your Spot to Aldon Auto Salvage…
This is going to be an amazing tour guys! Book your spot ASAP! Fill out the form below reserve your spot!
We have concluded our site tours for 2010-2011. The visits we did are as follows:
- Cougar Tool – Tues., Oct. 21
- OEM Remanufacturing – Mixer on Tues., November 16, 5 PM
- Kitchen Partners Ltd. - Thursday, Nov. 4, 1:30 PM
- Connect Logistics – Wed., Nov. 24, 1 PM
- Kinnikinnick Foods Inc. - Tues., March 29, 9:30 AM
- Labatt Brewing Company – Fri., April 8, 1PMAvicii @ Super Glow, DC Armory Washington, USA
If you have any suggestions or any place you would like to see, please email us at Matt@OMclub.ca with your comments.